Boston University College of Engineering, Boston, MA
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, May 2014
Relevant Work Experience:
freelance consulting, various clients May 2014 – Present
- Freelance physical process and problem solving for clients based locally and nationally.
- Example projects include reverse engineering 150 years’ worth of craftsman knowledge to document a cookware company’s product line; designing and implementing a manufacturing strategy for a bakery to achieve commercial production; modernizing the way a manufacturer of specialized shock absorbers communicates technical information to customers.
- Perform engineering and economic analysis to inform client’s decision making, helping them grow and improve their businesses.
- Manage projects from start to finish, communicating with remote clients, vendors, and manufacturers and execute plans on behalf of clients when necessary.
Boston University EPIC Center, Machinist’s Assistant December 2013 – May 2014
- Assisting machinists with machining setup, and machining operations
- Performing machining operations on parts as ordered.
- Assisting with intro-class demos for students detailing milling, drilling, turning, rapid prototyping, welding and other manufacturing methods.
- Design and manufacturing consultant with students on original ideas/concepts.
Boston University, Imagineering Lab Manager Spring 2013 – May 2014
- Advise students on how to complete their projects in any way, be it specific design challenges they face, or how to use machinery.
- Fostering a community of collaboration and acceptance of failure as a part of learning the design process.
- Gained proficiency in machining operations (turning, milling, etc.), and rapid prototyping (3D Printing, 3D modeling, laser cutting).
- Ensuring above all else that the lab is safe, clean, and organized.
MatterIO, Matter Maker (Internship) Summer 2013
- Collaborated and envisioned the future of fabrication and identified areas of business interest to help leadership team frame strategic direction of 3D Printing startup.
- Managed and maintained a fleet of 3D Printers.
- Wrote code to optimize install processes, followed up and resolved software bugs reported by customers and testers.
- Designed hardware (mounting brackets, camera mounts) to be shipped as a part of the product package.
Boston University, Technology Innovation Scholar Fall 2011 - Fall 2013
- Participated in outreach programs to inspire young students about engineering.
- Designed and tested “Innovations in a Box” design challenges for students.
- Travelled to schools throughout Boston metro area with BU students to facilitate design challenges to share and inspire excitement about science, technology, and engineering.
Newton Community Education, Instructor August 2011 - June 2013
- Designed curriculum and conducted courses for Newton Community Education.
- Conducted a hands-on workshop for adults, focusing on biodiesel production and use.
- Facilitated the creative confidence of middle school students through an engineering and
- design summer camp focused on green technology with hands-on activities.
- Gained the respect of middle-schoolers (no easy task).
- Managed a small group of assistant instructors.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Intern Summer 2010
- Designed and built a 30 gallon biodiesel reactor for the MIT Sea Grant lab in Gloucester.
- Reactor was designed to process waste vegetable or algae oil into ASTM grade biodiesel.
- Team advisor on biodiesel production processes and materials safety.
City of Newton, Greengineering Work Study Student Fall 2009 – Spring 2010
- Oversaw and managed the production of over 900 gallons of ASTM grade biodiesel.
- Produced Right to Know documents; worked with city fire inspectors on workplace safety.
- Co-founder of the Greengineering Design Lab.
Assorted Experience and Interests:
- Survival level reading, writing, and conversational Mandarin Chinese.
- Agricultural experience as beekeeper and ranch hand.
- Featured on frontpage of Instructables.com, winner of Concrete and Casting Contest, and the Made by Bees contest.
- Proficient in MATLAB, SolidWorks, GibbsCAM, Python, C++, HTML 5, and CSS.